Notary Test Instructions
download the instructions (pdf)
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS FOR NOTARY PUBLIC
- Applicant must fully complete the applicant information form on date test is taken.
- An application must be completed for anyone applying for a new notary commission or renewal of existing notary commission. Applicants renewing their notaries are required to have initially taken a test.
- Applicant is entitled to one (1) notary book with each application or renewal.
- Applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years of age; a citizen of the United States; a resident of the State of Ohio for 30 days; a resident of Darke County and registered to vote at every election in the County in which he resides; must possess sufficient qualifications and ability to discharge duties of the notary public; photo proof of identification; and be determined by the presiding Judge to be of good moral character.
- Applicants for a new notary commission must complete the application, take the test, and pay fees as appropriate. The test is given on the first Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m., Common Pleas Court, Courthouse, 2nd Floor, Greenville, Ohio. Determinations on character fitness will be made thereafter and applicants will be notified if their notary commission will not be issued.
- Applicants for renewal of their notary commission must complete the application and pay fees as appropriate. Your notary certificate will be mailed to you directly from Columbus within two to three weeks. After receipt, you must record it in the Clerk of Courts office on the second floor of the Courthouse and pay the filing fee.
- Information from the applicant's information form will be used to determine the qualifications including the verification of criminal record through permissible State, County, and other Governmental records.
- Application Fees: $30.00 for new notary applicant payable to Common Pleas Court. If a new notary applicant fails the test, the fee is $15.00 to retake the test if retaken within 120 days.
- Fees for Renewal application is $15.00 payable to Common Pleas Court.
- The above fees do not include the $15.00 fee payable to Ohio Secretary of State or the recording fees charged by the Darke County Clerk of Courts.
- All fees must be paid by check or money order.